photo NathanAndJadeBlogB-02_zps90cf696c.png

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Fighting For Dignity


This morning I woke up to an alarm on my phone. It was charged with electricity. I washed my face and brushed my teeth over the bathroom sink. We have running water. I picked out a striped t-shirt and a pair of jeans from our closet. I had dozens of clothes to choose from. I woke up our kids from their beds. They sleep in beds. They picked out breakfast; cereal with milk. Our fridge and cupboards are filled with food. I made their lunches; salami sandwiches, crisps, juice boxes, vanilla wafers, and bananas. I know our kids will be fed 3 meals today. Before walking to school Ruby said, "Take a photo for Grandma Sandy. She got me this necklace." They have loving grandparents that spoil them. I walked Maddix, Sophie, Ezra and Ruby to school. Our kids get to go to school. 
This afternoon I had a Dignity Project meeting about a recent distribution in the slums. Ninety young girls received their washable sanitary pads, learned about their bodies, their value and the One who designed them. My friend shared, "Thank you for the work Jade. A twelve-year-old girl shared that she has been forced to prostitute herself for her monthly pads."
I thought to myself, "What do you mean she *had* to prostitute herself for pads?" It's easy to criticize the live's of those whose shoes we've never worn and whose struggles we've never known.
Then I thought about my morning and how it was no different than any other day of my life. We all woke up in warm beds with closets full of clothes, a stocked kitchen and supplied bathrooms, running water, strong bodies to accomplish the days work and community that supports us.
The love of God compels me to fight for dignity and girly joy in all women, from my five-year-old daughter to the twelve-year-old in the slums and the women I call my sisters-in-Christ. 
 -Jade  
****
To Grandma Sandy,
Thank you for the necklace.
Love,
Ruby

No comments:

Post a Comment